Planning the trip is a big part of the fun for most of us and something that can involve everyone.
Whether the trip is not too far or across the country or across the globe, it is important when traveling with seniors that you bring everything that’s essential.
No one wants to over-pack and especially drag around an overfilled suitcase – or carry an extra bag – from one destination to other, but we do want to have with us all important items to keep our seniors safe, comfortable and healthy.
Whether traveling by train, automobile, boat or plane, having what your senior needs when they want it will make the journey a lot more pleasant and help avoid health issues.
Having a well-stocked carry-on and suitcase will help reduce the stress of the trip and enable our senior loved ones to feel “at home” away from home.
Traveling with seniors – Packing tips to make the Trip Healthy, Safe & Enjoyable.
There are several items that will come in handy when traveling and might not be easily replaced once you are on the road.
There is a common packing list available for all types of trips which cover what type of clothing and other essentials you must take along with every trip.
Here are some suggestions especially for seniors to put on the packing list so you don’t leave home without them.
- Medications in the original pill bottle along with the prescription label
- Important documents includes –
- Money belt - depending on your destination
- Extra set of spectacles in case of breakage or loss
- Hearing aid battery spares
- Denture container
- Comfortable shoes
- Hat and sunscreen
- Sweater or light jacket
- Snacks and chocolates, mint or gum to keep mouth from becoming too dry
- Travel size toiletries
- Rain gear, including small umbrella or poncho
- Book, tablet, puzzle book and crossword or music to keep them from being bored
- Camera to capture and record all the memoirs and adventures
- Portable healthcare products like Neoperen Knee BracePatella or commonly known as kneecap or Wireless Heat Therapy Strapper which can be essentials for elders while on trip.
Its important to bring along a small carry-on bag with essentials your senior will want to keep close such as medications, travel documents, id, change of clothes, toiletries and valuables. In case your senior’s luggage is lost they will have the most important items safe with them in carry-on bag.
Choose Luggage for Travel Ease
Any senior’s best friend will be a suitcase that has wheels that work well, move freely and allow them to push the bag in any direction so that when getting on and off an elevator or other tight place they can go back or forth with ease.
Important Travel Tip: Don’t keep any important items in the pocket of your jacket in case it does go missing.
Traveling is a time for fun, new explorations and making memories — but can also involve tension, chaos and confusion in case of any important item missed at home.