While travelling in a flight it is very important to remember what items you can and can’t carry with you also keep a check on certain things with reference to checked baggage and carryon or hand baggage.
A checked baggage is something that is not allowed with the passenger and you need to check the same at the counter & handover to the flight crew for keeping in the luggage area. It then becomes inaccessible to the travelers once its handed over at the check-in counter.
A carryon or hand baggage is something that is allowed with the passenger & you can carry it along you in flight. There is a storage space in the flight where you can keep your carryon luggage.
There are certain norms and restrictions to be followed wrt to items that are allowed & disallowed to be carried in checked luggage & carryon luggage. There are certain items which are completely restricted in an airplane in any type of baggage.
By following this guide based on the Transportation Security Administration’s rules and regulations you can make packing for your flight a breeze. This may not cover entire list but can be followed as a basic guide. However, for airline & country specific restrictions, please visit respective website.
General references taken from Airlines website and Iata.
Airplane Hand Luggage Restrictions / Prohibited Checklist –
Personal Items -
· Scissors-metal with pointed tips
· Realistic replica of toy weapon
Sharp Objects -
· Box Cutters, Ice Axes/Ice Picks
· Knives (any length and type except round-bladed, butter, and plastic cutlery)
· Razor-type blades such as box cutters, utility knives, sword
Sporting Goods — (Sporting goods to be carried in checked baggage)
· Baseball Bats, Bows and Arrows
· Cricket Bats, Golf Clubs, Hockey Sticks
· Lacrosse Sticks, Pool Cues, Ski Poles, Spear Guns
· Musical Instruments
Guns and Firearm -
· Ammunition, BB guns, Compressed Air Guns
· Firearms, Parts of Guns and Firearms, Pellet Guns
· Realistic Replicas of Firearms, Starter pistols
· Axes and hatchets, Cattle Prods, Crowbars
· Hammers, Drills (including cordless portables power drills)
· Saws (including cordless portable power saws)
· Screwdrivers (except those in eyeglass repair kits)
· Tools (including but not limited to wrenches and pliers)
· Wrenches and Pliers
Martial Arts/Self Defense Items -
· Billy Clubs, Black Jacks, Brass Knuckles, Kubatons
· Mace/Pepper Spray
· Martial Arts Weapons, Night Sticks, Nunchakus, Martial Arts/Self Defense Items
· Stun Guns/Shocking Devices, Throwing Stars
Airplane Checked Luggage Checklist –
If it is an item that is hard to replace, very expensive, or necessary for your health and well being, then you should never put it in checked baggage, it is not restricted but for your safety you should not put it in checked baggage.
If you lose money-related, jewellary, expensive items in your checked baggage, airlines are not obligated to compensate you.
Money related items-
· Cash, credit cards, travelers’ checks, blank checkbooks, securities, and anything else that has monetary value
· Necklaces, rings, diamonds, other precious stones, gold, silver, expensive watches, and other small and valuable items
Laptops and electronic devices-
· Laptops, cell phones, and other small personal electronic devices
Medically related items -
· Prescription medication, other medications, and other medical items
Other items -
· Passports and other identification, keys
· Eyeglasses or sunglasses
· Photos, exposed film
· Tickets, art, boarding passes, travel vouchers
· Mail, financial records, business documents, manuscripts, etc
Things to keep at home / Completely Restricted list in an Airplane –
Flammable items –
· Aerosol cans (except limited quantities of personal-care items)
· Fuels, gasoline, lighter fluid
· Strike-anywhere matches, match sticks and flammable paints
· Turpentine and paint thinner
· Replicas of incendiaries
Explosive materials -
· Fireworks, flares, blasting caps, dynamite, and replicas of explosive materials
· Compressed gases
· Chlorine and bleach
· Spillable batteries
· Spray paint
· Radioactive materials — Such as acids, alkalis, mercury, wet cell batteries
· Tear gas and fire extinguishers
· Poisonous & infectious substances — Insecticides & weed killers
In order to avoid all sorts of difficulties, keep in mind all the restricted items while packing and travelling in a flight.